Summer Skin Protection
Reduce the signs of aging caused by excessive sun exposure Below are some tips from Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS to protect you during the extreme heat of summer:
- Limit outdoor activities especially between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, the most dangerous time for UV exposure.
- If you must be outdoors, take frequent breaks, preferably in a shaded area.
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher. Sunscreen should be applied at least 20 to 30 minutes prior to sun exposure.
- Apply at least one ounce of sunscreen to your body, and a teaspoon to your face.
- Reapply sunscreen after swimming or perspiring. Check the label of your sunscreen for the maximum amount of time it is effective and reapply before that time elapses.
- Remember to apply sunscreen to your ears, neck, hands, feet, scalp and the part in your hair
- Check the expiration date on your sunscreen products. Expired products may not provide adequate protection.
- It is imperative that skin be protected from the sun after any surgical procedure, but especially after a facelift, blepharoplasty, otoplasty or rhinoplasty, to avoid post-surgical sun damage including swelling, increased scarring and compromised healing.
- Dress in appropriate clothing (long sleeved shirts or cover-ups) and wear a broad brimmed hat. Protect your eyes with sunglasses.
- Wear UV protective clothing which often offers 50+ UV protection. A regular white cotton tee shirt has a sun protection factor of about 5 to 7, which decreases if it becomes wet. This should be a consideration if you have recently had breast augmentation or breast lift surgery.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water frequently throughout the day.
Premier Plastic Surgery Center of New Jersey offers many medical grade skin care products to protect your skin and keep your complexion glowing. Contact our Morristown, NJ office at 973-889-9300 to schedule an appointment.