Botox injections are the most common noninvasive treatment performed in the United States! Botox injections relax wrinkles formed by facial muscles and reduce the appearance of these fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is FDA approved for treating frown lines, blepharospasm (eyelid spasms) and excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis).
Botox is used to treat existing facial lines caused by repetitive muscle movement. Botox also prevents new lines from forming. Common injection sites for addressing wrinkles and lines are:
- Glabella (region between eyebrows)
- Outer corners of eyes (crow’s feet)
- Either side of mid-chin, for down-turned mouth
- Neck, for neck bands or visible chords
What happens during the treatments?
Botox is administered via tiny injections to the targeted muscles.
- The area to be injected will be cleansed by Dr. Glatt with alcohol swabs.
- No anesthetic is necessary, and most people hardly realize when the treatment is being administered!
- Dr. Glatt will ask you to make specific expressions to identify facial muscle contractions.
- Dr. Glatt will make several quick injections in the region to be treated.
- The treated area will be cleansed again.
- The entire treatment process takes about 10 to 15 minutes once we begin.
After the Injection:
You may experience mild swelling or rednessfrom any type of injection. You may also experience a mild headache after treatment. It is unlikely, but possible, that you may experience mild flu-like symptoms after your injections. All of these are very temporary in nature if they occur.
If this is your first time being treated with Botox, you can expect your results to develop within 3 to 10 days after treatment. You will not be able to make the expressions that have created your expression lines either at all, or they will be significantly softened. This is discussed with Dr. GLatt before treatment to determine your ultimate treatment goals with Botox. Treatment is temporary—Botox does not cause permanent loss of movement or paralysis. Within 4 to 6 months you will see movement return to the treated area. If you do not repeat treatment, your appearance will return to its pre-treatment state.
Questions? Schedule a consultation with Dr. Glatt at the Premier Plastic Surgery Center of New Jersey for an evaluation and possible treatment.